Keeping everyone safe
As per the latest government regulations, see our facilities available and extra measures we’re taking so you can enjoy your visit.
Saturday 27th March – Access to the Formal Gardens is available via the 5 bar gate, while the gate from the south lodge, hawks lawn and the one near the sewage plant near the garden house is locked. This is in place temporarily while we have sheep in Paradise Field and to give the land a chance to rest before the summer season.
History ... hath but one page
House & Abbey
Steeped in over 800 years of history, Newstead is a monastic Abbey from the late 12th century and former home of Romantic poet Lord Byron.
Thro’ thy battlements, Newstead, the hollow winds whistle
Inside the Abbey there is much to discover, including Lord Byron’s private apartments, the Victorian Kitchen and room displays, plus cloisters from the monastic period.
Surviving earthquakes and a civil war, the original façade of the old priory – the West Front – and the medieval cloisters still stand. The priory church’s West Front also contains a sculpture of the Virgin and Child.
Heralded by many as the greatest Romantic poet of his time, Byron lived at Newstead Abbey between 1808 and 1814. See personal items, such as furniture, letters, manuscripts and portraits, plus his gilt wood bed, pistol and the desk at which he wrote much of his finest work.
Founded as a monastic house in the twelfth century, Newstead retains its medieval character. Dating from the late thirteenth century, marvel at the surviving church structure of the West Front. See the cloisters, Chapter House (now Chapel), stone carvings and manuscripts.
Byron sold the Abbey in 1818 to Thomas Wildmam in whose hands it remained until 1861 when purchased by William Frederick Webb, an African explorer. View Victorian room settings, paintings, letters, deeds and diaries, as well as photo albums of the Abbey, its interiors and gardens, through time.
Newstead through the ages
The house includes collections spanning centuries: from when the Abbey became a private house, to the present day. Comprising paintings, letters, maps and photographs, and eighteenth century views by artist Pieter Tillemans – browse the Gothic Revival Library and panelling of the Great Hall, reputedly sourced from a single oak.