From time to time, applicants may be added to a waiting list when there a large number of volunteers in the House.
We are looking for people to work alongside our front-of-house staff to help ensure the smooth running of the Abbey when it is open to the public.
Newstead Abbey is a beautiful historic house, set in a glorious landscape of gardens and parkland in the heart of Nottinghamshire. Founded as a priory in the late 12th century, it was home to the poet Lord Byron between 1808 and 1814. Inside the Abbey, there is much to explore including Victorian room settings and the poet’s private apartments.
What you will be doing
- Learning more about Newstead Abbey so you can share all that is unique – indoors and outdoors with visitors
- Providing a warm friendly wlecome to all visitors as the public face of the Abbey
- Talking to visitors and helping to increase the public’s understanding of our collections
- Ensuring museum areas are clean and tidy
- Assisting with basic cleaning at the start and end of the day
- Gallery stewarding, ensuring the safety of our collections
The skills you need
- A pleasant and helpful manner and a willingness to learn
- Excellent communication skills and a good standard of spoken English
- Relaible, well presented, friendly and polite
- Enthusiasm for history and heritage
- Desire to engage with visitors from all walks of life
What’s in it for you
- Shifts are available every Saturday, Sunday, Bank Holidays and weekdays school holidays, 10.45 am – 4 pm
- Build your experience of working in museums, heritage and visitor engagement
- Meet new people and have the opportunity to socialise with fellow volunteers at events.
- Be part of a large team of volunteers of all ages and from all backgrounds
- Spend time in in beautiful rooms full of history
- Free parking
- Free tea and coffee while on site