In this session:
Byron’s Newstead – House Tour and activities (90-minutes)
The Abbey was home to famous poet Lord Byron (1808–14) prior to its sale to friend Thomas Wildman in 1817. During the tour of the house in which he lived and worked, students learn about Byron’s life, his passions and interests. An opportunity to peruse original items of Byron memorabilia and explore wider significance. Facilitated by an experienced guide, the tour includes activities for students to complete.
The tour will help your students develop an understanding of a writer’s social, historical and cultural context to inform evaluation and responses to their work.
Creative Writing Session- 90 minutes
This session uses Newstead Abbey’s house and gardens as a stimulus for creative writing and can be adapted to fit your school’s creative writing focus such as
- Nature poetry
- Descriptive writing
- Gothic/Ghost stories
- Writing about character
- Ways in to creative writing
- Take part in a series of practical explorations in creative reading and writing demonstrating narrative and descriptive skills in response to the unique visual stimulus of Newstead Abbey house and grounds
- Develop confidence in fluency and techniques using panoramic structure, focusing on small precise detail, editing and using impactful language
- This session can support the descriptive writing part of the GCSE English exam
Why should you attend?
- A great opportunity for students studying – or about to start study of – poetry in GCSE anthologies and those wishing to develop creative writing skills. Ideal for mixed ability groups – from those who ‘get poetry’ to those who might need extra insight and encouragement – in readiness for exams. The day includes a 90-minute ‘Creative Writing Session’.
- Newstead – ancestral home of Romantic poet Lord Byron – was a place of huge inspiration to the writer featuring as his ‘Norman Abbey’ in epic masterpiece, Don Juan. The creative writing element retraces Byron’s footsteps using quick and impactful writing tasks situated at various locations in the house and grounds. Facilitated by an experienced writer, the day provides a supportive and exciting environment to improve skills and confidence in creative writing.
Duration: 4 hours | 10.30am–2.30pm
Cost per session: £10 per child
Key Stage: 3/4
This session can be used towards: Discover (Part A, Discover), Discover (Part B, Find out), Explore (Part A, Inspire OR Part C, Create), Bronze (Part A, Participating in the Arts)
Links to GCSE English Language and Literature
Contact Us By Email
Or by phone 0115 876 1420