English: Writing, composition skills, planning writing, evaluating and editing, reviewing and sharing work.
Preparation for composing answers to GCSE English Language Paper 1: Creative Writing
Work with a professional writer towards practicing answers for English Language Paper 1: Creative Writing, using the atmospheric settings of Newstead Abbey as an inspiration point. Learn practical, useable skills in overcoming fear of the blank page, planning and structuring a piece of creative writing into clear paragraphs for GCSE Language Paper 1, editing tips and ways to give your writing flourish and technique.
In this session:
- Work with a professional writer to discuss how to organise a piece of creative writing into paragraphs with a beginning, middle, end structure.
- Working as a group to write an opening paragraph using the grounds of Newstead Abbey as an inspiration point – gaining skills in drafting, starting from easily achievable beginnings to build texture into your writing.
- Have a go at writing your own opening paragraph, with a chance to read back to the group and receive constructive feedback from the session leader.
- Explore useful techniques for editing your work, referring back to the marking scheme for the GSCE Paper and explaining how to include what examiners are looking for.
- Explore using a closing paragraph to either sum up your story or leave a cliffhanger, and put thoughts to how your middle paragraphs can work to expand your idea.
Crucially, this session is aimed at making the GSCE Creative Writing Paper feel accessible and achievable through simple exercises that move from overcoming fear of the blank page, to building into a narrative, exploring technique and style along the way.
It is designed to be useful for GCSE Students of all abilities, building confidence and refining writing skills.
Duration: 1.5 hours | 10.30am–12pm or 1pm–2.30pm
Cost: £180 or £300 as full day with House Tour.
Key Stage: 3/4